Beans are an excellent source of iron, fiber, protein, minerals and much much more! They are low in saturated fat as well as low in sodium if prepared from dry beans. Add beans to your tacos, salads and side dishes to make your meals more nutrient dense.
Not sure how to make dry beans? Check out this link for some basic information.
This bean salad recipe is a great place to start to use more beans in your diet. Serve this salad as a side dish with a meal, on top of greens, or for a healthy snack!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups garbanzo bean reconstituted from dry beans or 1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans
- 1 ½ cups black beans reconstituted from dry beans or 1 15 oz can of black beans
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced (optional)
Mix olive oil, lemon juice, minced parsley and garlic in a separate bowl and set aside, this is the dressing. Mix beans, tomatoes and onions together in large bowl. Pour dressing over bean mixture right before serving.