Purchasing produce from a local farmers’ market can be advantageous for a number of reasons. Aside from supporting your local economy, it good for you and your family. Food grown in your own community was probably picked within the past day or two. It’s crisp, sweet and loaded with flavor. Plus, fresh produce loses nutrients quickly. So locally grown food, purchased soon after harvest, retains its nutrients and packs the most nutrients per bite. And now WIC participants can take part in the WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program.
Things to remember when using Farmer’s Market checks:
- They are like cash (do not need to be signed, cannot be replaced)
- You CANNOT receive any change back
- Can only be used at a vendor who has the yellow VENDOR sign posted
- Approved produce only (see list)
- Use within dates on check
Where are the Farmers Markets?