Questions & Answers About WIC

What does “WIC” stand for?
Women, Infants and Children Supplemental Food and Nutrition Education Program.

Why is WIC a “supplemental” food program?
WIC provides some, not all, of the foods that participants need each month.

How long can my child participate in WIC?
Infants are enrolled until their first birthday. Children are enrolled in WIC for 6 months at a time. Children can be re-enrolled every 6 months until age five, as long as they remain income eligible and have a “nutritional risk.”

What is a “Nutritional Risk?”
Nutritional Risk (or nutritional need) is a term used within the WIC Program. It refers to any medical or nutritional condition that could be improved by being enrolled on WIC.

What can be used as “proof of identity?”
Birth certificates or Wisconsin ID cards. A valid drivers license can be used for women. For participants already enrolled, a WIC ID folder can be used.

Is WIC found throughout the United States?
Yes. The WIC program is in every state, as well as in the 32 Indian Tribal Organizations, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, and Guam.

Where can I use my WIC checks?
Wisconsin WIC checks can be used at any Wisconsin grocery (or pharmacy) that is authorized to accept WIC checks. Wisconsin WIC checks can only be used in Wisconsin.

What happens if I’m enrolled on WIC and later move to another city or state?
If you are currently enrolled in WIC, you can transfer to a a WIC project in another city and/or state. Once there, contact the local health department to find the nearest WIC project. When you go to the new WIC Project, take your Wisconsin WIC identification folder to show you are in a current certification period.

What should I do if I lose my WIC checks, or they are stolen?
Contact your WIC project immediately.

“In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 or (202) 720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer
Share this information
Categorized as Women, Infants, & Children Program (WIC)

Contact Us

Oneida County Health Department
100 West Keenan Street
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm Mon-Fri

Telephone (715) 369-6111
Fax (715) 369-6112

To report a public health emergency or to report a notifiable disease after hours, please contact dispatch at 715-361-5100.

Click here to view map and additional contact information.



Mental Health Hotline - Mental Health Crisis? Forest, Vilas and Oneida County call 1-888-299-1188.

Smoking Cessation - Break free of cigarettes. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.

Disaster Distress Line - Stress, anxiety, and other depression are common after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or visit the Disaster Distress Line to talk.

Wisconsin First Step – Information on services for children and youth with special needs, their families and providers. Call 1-800-642-7837 to speak with a parent specialist.

Maternal and Child Health Hotline – Call 1-800-722-2295 for information on BadgerCare Plus, WIC, HealthCheck, maternal depression, Prenatal Care Coordination, family planning, developmental screenings, and more.