Halloween can be a fun time to dress up your kids and go trick or treating. Cute costumes, brisk fall air, the change in season and of course….candy, make Halloween a favorite for many. But how much candy is too much candy? Candy and excess sugar can make children feel ill, lead to too many calories taken in for a given day and wreak havoc on good dental health. Here are some Halloween tips to keep your family healthy and happy:
- Talk to your child before going trick or treating about how many pieces of candy they can chose when done trick or treating.
- Have a healthy meal before going trick or treating so your child is not overly hungry.
- Inspect all treats and candy for safety before consumption.
- Ration candy and store in a place that is out of sight, out of mind.
- Throw out candy that you do not want your child to have.
- Encourage alternatives to giving out candy in your neighborhood (ie pencils, stickers, trading cards).
Did you know your child can sell their Halloween candy? Check out this article for more information: http://www.wjfw.com/stories.html?sku=20111026103132.