Why Fluoride?

ToothbrushOneida County Health Department can provide your child with dietary fluoride supplements if your child:

  • Lives in Oneida County
  • Is between the ages of 6 months to 16 years (babies start solid foods @ 6 months of age and solid foods reduce fluoride absorption to 60% of intake).
  • Does not have Rhinelander City water.

In Oneida County the city of Rhinelander is the only city that fluoridates their water supply.  So if you do not live in the Rhinelander City limits your child may need fluoride supplementation.

Dietary fluoride supplements can reduce the incidence of cavities in primary (baby) teeth by 50% and in permanent (adult) teeth by 30%.  Benefits of fluoride supplements can last a lifetime.

  • Other preventative measures like brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups where sealants can be placed are also important.
  • Fluoride varnishes done at many of the schools do help with the erupted teeth but do not help with developing teeth like fluoride supplements do.

Before the fluoride supplement is prescribed, the fluoride content of your well water must be tested by a water test.   Municipal well water is tested yearly, i.e. Minocqua.  Private well water can be tested by obtaining a well water test kit for fluoride through the Oneida County Health Department and the WIC program.

To look to see if your community well has adequate fluoride levels click on: https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/publications/p0/p00103.pdf

Share this information
Categorized as Blog - Family Health, Dental Health, Family Health, General Information, Women, Infants, & Children Program (WIC)

Contact Us

Oneida County Health Department
100 West Keenan Street
Rhinelander, WI 54501
Hours: 8:00am - 4:30pm Mon-Fri

Telephone (715) 369-6111
Fax (715) 369-6112


To report a public health emergency or to report a notifiable disease after hours, please contact dispatch at 715-361-5100.

Click here to view map and additional contact information.



Mental Health Hotline - Mental Health Crisis? Forest, Vilas and Oneida County call 1-888-299-1188.

Smoking Cessation - Break free of cigarettes. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.

Disaster Distress Line - Stress, anxiety, and other depression are common after a disaster. Call 1-800-985-5990 or visit the Disaster Distress Line to talk.

Wisconsin First Step – Information on services for children and youth with special needs, their families and providers. Call 1-800-642-7837 to speak with a parent specialist.

Maternal and Child Health Hotline – Call 1-800-722-2295 for information on BadgerCare Plus, WIC, HealthCheck, maternal depression, Prenatal Care Coordination, family planning, developmental screenings, and more.